Required application documents

NB! All documents should be scanned and provided in PDF format with protection from editing.

Documents necessary for making the decision on admission to KFU are marked with (*). Other documents may be filed after your arrival to Kazan. However, KFU reserves the right to request all listed documents before issuing the invitation.

1. Official Academic Records

Official Academic Records are required only from applicants, who wish to be enrolled in a degree program. The academic records must be issued by the registrar or a records-keeping official from the relevant institution.

The enumeration of academic records should indicate the individual subjects studied and the marks or grades received in each subject. Courses and grades must be listed exactly as they appear in the original document.

All foreign documents should pass through an official legalization process in order to be valid in Russia. You can get the information about the procedure of legalization in the Russian embassy in the country where academic documents were issued.

Copies of legalized documents must be enclosed in the application documents. If the original language of the academic records is other than English or Russian, a notarized exact English or Russian translation must be enclosed with them.

Original educational documents and their notarized Russian translations (by the Russian Embassy or Consulate in the country of issue or by a Russian notary) must be filed upon arrival in Kazan.

2. Certificate of recognition and proof of equivalence of a foreign document of education or scientific title.

Degree program candidates who wish to study in the Russian Federation must have their documents go through the procedure of recognition*.

Please Note: Documents recognized in accordance with the treaties on mutual recognition as equivalent to the corresponding Russian documents, should be accepted in the educational institutions without the recognition procedure.

The Certificate of recognition is required for enrollment in all university degree programs. Prospective students are responsible for obtaining the Certificate and covering all related expenses.

Applicants with unrecognized documentation may be enrolled in preparatory Russian courses (for perspective KFU students). In this case, the recognition procedure can be completed during preparatory course enrolment. However, please keep in mind that successful recognition is a requirement for further education in a full-degree program.

See more information for holders of foreign academic certificates

3. Certificates of Scientific and Research Qualifications

Prospective candidates for doctoral (post-graduate) studies must file an abstract in the proposed research area or a list of research publications, if available, or any other evidence of scientific and research qualifications. Recommendations from experts in the chosen field are welcome.

4. Recommendations

Two letters of recommendation are required in order to participate in the program of individual research training. One letter should be written by a KFU faculty member, dotsent (associate professor) or full professor, while the other should be from an expert in the chosen field from your home institution (e.g., your research supervisor).

Applicants, wishing to take part in the one-semester and one-year visiting student programs, must provide a letter of recommendation from their academic supervisor, faculty or department. For those providing recommendations from international educational institutions (Letter of recommendation from your academic supervisor, faculty or department), special financial conditions for participation in the Program are arranged.

There is no specific required format for letters of recommendation.

5. Medical card

All individuals who plan to stay in Kazan for three months or longer must undergo a medical examination (including an HIV blood test) and obtain a certificate indicating that their health permits them to stay in the Russian climate. If health reasons prevent an admitted candidate from studying in the Russian Federation, he/she will have to leave Russia.

Source of information: Department of External Affairs